Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dark glass jars

I didn’t eat my plums
when I had them.
Never put them
in an ice box
nor in the fridge.

I punctured the plums
with wooden
toothpicks instead
and left them
to ferment in
sugar.

I soaked
them in spirits
and hid them in
dark glass jars
for months
together.

Let the spirits
sap the plums,
let the juices
turn to spirits.

There are no
plums now.

August 12, 2009

(I wrote this on the morning of August 12, 2009. I woke up and logged in to Facebook. Dilip Chitre had written about staying up the previous night, making tea for himself and eating plums in his status message. I was reminded of WCW's "This is Just to Say".)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i guess i have heard the story...this was way back when u were in express delhi...around the time of upahaar tragedy...no?

my poetry journal said...

ha ha. which is this story?

Unknown said...

the story of plums n wine, which is now a poem. i have forgotten the context in which it was told...must have been at a daroo gathering

Ashish said...

Reminds me of WCW's poem "This Is Just to Say"

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

meenakshi said...

Amazing...such beautiful words around a fruit :) u have to have passion for both to connect it like dat....very nice!!